American Alliance of Museum provides access to Constitution, American Alliance of Museums Constitution, gender pay equity, Museum quality of working lives research, museum worker political action, museum working conditions research, political action at organisation AGMs
Hmmmmmm; passing strange.
Thanks to a link kindly supplied yesterday in a comment by a third party on my previous post, it turns out that the American Alliance of Museums now does have its February 2012 “Constitution & Bylaws” document available on its web site.
It can be found by doing a logged-in search for “Constitution.” The link for a direct download without log-in in is: https://www.aam-us.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/aam_constitution_and_bylaws_february_2012_final.pdf .
I thank the AAM for putting its nonprofit corporation governance document on-line. Members can now start to familiarise ourselves with it & begin to exercise our existing rights effectively within our nonprofit corporation.
Sadly, for some unknown reason, my several requests to AAM staff for this information were never answered directly to me, even after the link with the apparent sometime in April 2018 upload date was posted on the AAM web site.
- I personally plan to review this Constitution & Bylaws document for information relevant to AAM member voting rights.
- When time permits before the next AAM annual meeting, I will blog here about recommendations for action arising from my review.
- A summary of my previous recommendations follows:
- find out the proper procedures (currently being withheld from me by AAM) under which AAM members can exercise our AAM constitutional right to amend the AAM Constitution (perhaps in Bylaws?)
- initiate AAM constitutional change with a notice of motion at next year’s AAM AGM to expand AAM member voting rights to permit member resolutions to give operational direction to the AAM Board such as to be able to:
- persuade AAM to develop a plan with the aim of creating gender pay equity in museums (Baldwin 2018; American Alliance of Museums 2017)
- persuade AAM to undertake formal research on working conditions in museums to confirm or disprove the data about unsustainable overwork unreasonably expected in our field presented in this blog since 2012, anecdotal reports such as Milldrum (2017), the results of informal conference ‘rogue sessions’ like Greenberg & Pelaez (2015), the Erdman et al. (2017) survey commentary, & the Ocello et al. (2017) survey report.
Followers are more than welcome to comment here about any issues in the above document you might find relevant or other suggestions for action.
American Alliance of Museums. 2017. “News Release: American Alliance of Museums Partners with 11 Regional and State Museum Associations to Produce 2017 Salary Survey: Comprehensive Study Analyzes 52 Museum Positions on National, Local Levels” 20 June. Washington: American Alliance of Museums https://www.aam-us.org/2017/06/20/american-alliance-of-museums-partners-with-11-regional-and-state-museum-associations-to-produce-2017-salary-survey/ [“Two-thirds of all full-time paid museum professionals in the sample are women, and women outnumber men in 44 of the 52 full-time positions. However, they typically receive less pay than their male peers” (American Alliance of Museums 2017).]
Baldwin, Joan. 2018. “What’s Missing From “7 Factors That Drive Museum Wages Down”?” Leadership Matters post on March 4, 2018 https://leadershipmatters1213.wordpress.com/2018/03/04/whats-missing-from-7-factors-that-drive-museum-wages-down/?wref=tp (accessed 19 March 2018). Also see A Call for Gender Equity in the Museum Workplace: https://gemmgenderequity.wordpress.com/call-to-action/ & https://www.genderequitymuseums.com/ (accessed 26 March 2018).
Erdman, Sarah et al. 2017. “Leaving the Museum Field.” Alliance Labs blog [American Alliance of Museums] posted 22 September http://labs.aam-us.org/blog/leaving-the-museum-field/ .
Greenberg, Alyssa & Pelaez, Nina. 2015. “Unsafe Ideas: Building Museum Worker Solidarity for Social Justice.” Center for the Future of Museums Blog posted 2 June at http://futureofmuseums.blogspot.ca/2015/06/unsafe-ideas-building-museum-worker.html.
Milldrum, Claire. 2017. “Why I Left The Museum Field: A Guest Post By Claire Milldrum.” ExhibiTricks: A Museum/Exhibit/Design Blog posted 11 September http://blog.orselli.net/2017/09/why-i-left-museum-field-guest-post-by.html .
Ocello, Claudia et al. 2017. “Why are Great Museum Workers Leaving the Field? Survey by Claudia Ocello, Dawn Salerno, Sarah Erdman, & Marieke Van Damme.” https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_aHdxmG0Jdb4deqsjyhH9eoDUIPXz_EdkU-7gWuXDwE/edit?usp=sharing .